Tuesday, November 8, 2011

rosemary roasted broccoli and garbanzos

You know sometimes people add nuts or bacon or butter to vegetables to make them taste better? Well this is not one of those times, at all. If you're not a fan of veggies-this isn't for you. 
I usually just use broccoli and chickpeas/garbanzo beans but today I added pine nuts and sun dried tomatoes that I had in my pantry.

What You'll Need for 2 servings:
about 2 cups of broccoli florets (fresh/frozen, roasting is the only time I use frozen broccoli)
1 cup of canned or fresh garbanzo beans/chickpeas, if canned-buy low sodium and be sure to rinse them well
1/2 T of olive oil, just enough to coat the vegetables
2 springs of fresh rosemary, minced
salt, pepper

How The Magic Happens:
broccoli, chickpeas and olive oil go into a baking dish. 
Add a healthy pinch of salt, some fresh ground pepper, and the chopped rosemary. Give the pan a nice big wiggle jiggle so that the seasonings coat the veggies. 
Into the oven for 20 minutes. At 10 minutes, take the pan and give it a shake just so that any flippage that needs to happen can happen to ensure even roasty toastiness. 

So, I used pine nuts because I've had a bag of pine nuts sitting around for a few months now. Pine nuts are a really smooth, delicate, buttery nut. They worked really well in this dish but these veggies are great on their own so no need to splurge. Although, if you have leftover pine nuts you can make some pesto later in the week...definite PRO.
I added a half of a handful of pine nuts to the veggies once they had been in the oven for 17 minutes and I left it in to toast for about 4 minutes. 

final product with toasted pine nuts and a handful of sun dried tomatoes







No comments:

Post a Comment